Camera Tracking Development 1

Camtrackday out

For my camera track, I went out with a group and filmed footage with the intended use for camera tracking. While out there the one thing I learned quickly was light.

Light is essential for tracking as it gives the footage points of contrast to use for tracking markers.

As well as light there was also natural points for tracking markers. small repetitive patterns generate a poor track as the marker will bounce between these points during tracking.

Here are some screens from the footage I had available and why the could or couldn’t be used.

Capture0003058

This shot featured a very dark underpass and extremely repetitive titles on the ground as well as an asphalt with barely any contrast. This shot had very few tracking markers available on the ground. And those that were available jumped often from point to point due to how close the tiles are together

Capture0008007

This footage is incredibly dark and is impossible to get a good floor track due to the lack of contrast.

Capture0011085

Once again this footage is incredibly dark. the floor also is very repetitive and due to the low camera intersections between the tiles would very easily confuse the tracking markers.

Capture0013016

This footage isn’t as dark as the last but is still dark enough to cause continuous track errors. Even in attempts to manually assist the track slight blurring in the footage caused any tracks to be immediately be lost.

CamTrackFootage

This is the footage I went for. The light is good, and the leaves along the floor allow to maintain tracking markers due to their colour and contrast differences with the ground.

Here is the footage of me tracking.

During Tracking I managed to get this down to a 0.2 margin of error and added some geometry to show the track in action.

To Do

– Look into lighting in blender to get a better lit model

– Create a model to add to the scene